Make, Jane, make!: Recipe Review: Taro Sponge Cake

Printfriendly

Small Share

Monday, May 28, 2012

Recipe Review: Taro Sponge Cake


While browsing the internet a few weeks ago, I ran across this delicious-looking recipe from Eupho Cafe. I had just bought a large taro from the supermarket with the intent of braising it with some duck or chicken, but this recipe completely eclipsed any savoury aspirations I had.



Being an Asian-style dessert, I followed the recipe to the tee and didn't reduce the amount of sugar (as I usually do with cakes) since most Asian cakes are not overly sweet. I found the result to be a perfect balance of light, sweet cake and fluffy, flavourful taro.


For those of you who are a bit sceptical of eating a cake filled with a root vegetable, taro filling has a similar texture and taste sensation as chestnut filling. So if you like chestnut-based desserts then have an open-mind and give this cake a whirl. However, if chestnuts are not your thing then you probably wouldn't enjoy this cake as much as my family and I did.


I didn't use any food colouring for my whipped cream as the original author did. I'm not a big fan of using artificial food colouring, but I may try using a little beet and/or blueberry juice next time since I love the pale purple that taro cakes usually are.


This recipe get a big thumbs up and I'm already looking at trying her pineapple cake recipe as well. Wonder if they'll be good enough to sustain us between our yearly dose of the legendary Chia Te Taiwanese pineapple cakes? [nom nom nom]

2 comments:

  1. Do you know what she's referring to when she says "coffee creamer" as an ingredient? In the U.S. we have tons of flavored coffee creamers and then we have of course heavy cream, half and half cream and other milks. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! It's been a long time since I made this recipe... I'm pretty sure that I would have used powdered milk since we don't keep coffee creamer in the house :)

      Delete