Make, Jane, make!: Something for Me

Printfriendly

Small Share

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Something for Me


It's been more than a year since I've made anything for myself. Partly, I've been busy with the kids and other projects so making clothes for myself did not seem a necessity. And partly because of this:


My poorly organized and throw-the-junk-I-don't-have-time-to-think-about "craft" room. It's not the largest space and I have yet to get proper storage and worktables. And as you can see I do most of my work on the ground.

Ask any sewer and I'm sure they'll tell you that sewing is fun but tracing and cutting patterns can be tedious. Tracing and cutting small child-sized patterns while stooped over the hardwood floor is even more tedious. And tracing and cutting humungous me-sized patterns while stooped over the hardwood floor is the most tedious of all.

I've actually wanted to make this DKNY dress ever since scooping the pattern at a Fabricland $1 clearance sale and buying some super cheap stretch knit material. The sole reason that I have not made it is that I have been avoiding cutting the pieces.

However, here I am post-third baby and body is just not what it used to be. My old summer dresses are either too small or too short (i.e. if one of the children decides that they want to hide beneath mommy's skirt then everyone gets a glimpse of what's underneath!) I'll probably make myself another infinity dress (see here and here) sometime, but I wanted to try something different this time - something more conventionally designed.

After a few weeks of sporadic sewing, drawing and re-drawing pattern marks with a fadeaway marker (they faded away!) and remembering that I owned a walking foot more than halfway through sewing the dress, it's done...

Yes, I cut my head out of the picture because I had the camera in front of my face anyway.
Just in time for the warmer weather and perfect for an afternoon wedding ceremony we're attending this weekend.

It's a super comfy dress and I'll likely make it again with some modifications. Maybe different fabrics on the bodice and skirt? Maybe a different waist band colour? Maybe without the tie? Or perhaps sleeveless instead of the small cap-like sleeves? I dunno. I just know that there will probably be a lot of procrastination involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment