Make, Jane, make!: Mango Lassi Ice Pops

Printfriendly

Small Share

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Mango Lassi Ice Pops

I have to confide something... I'm not a huge fan of Atafulo mangoes. I know they are generally sweet and less stringy, but for me they lack a certain taste and smell that I associate with mangoes. I know why they are popular though... it's because good red mangoes are hard to find and impossible to tell apart from the bad ones. (There are different types of red mangoes and I find that some are better and sweeter than others. Here is a great resource if you're a mango lover.)


When red mangoes go on sale though, that's usually the cue that good mangoes have come in during their season from Mexico or elsewhere. So when there's a sale, I'll buy a couple to see how they ripen and then buy a bunch if I am satisfied. This was the case recently and I got some great tasting red mangoes.



A few mangoes got turned into puree and given to the baby, but a lot of the puree got combined with some yogurt and spices for a lovely and refreshing mango lassi popsicle. I put very little honey in these ones so that they would taste similar to drinking a nice cool lassi. You could add a little or as much sweetener as you like.



~^*^~^*^~^*^~^*^~^*^~^*^~^*^~^*^~^*^~^*^~^*^~^*^~^*^*~^*^

Mango Lassi Ice Pops Yield: 6 popsicles (approximately 2.5 ounces each)

2 mangoes
3 green cardamom pods
handful pistachios, shelled
6 teaspoons honey (or more to taste, this is still a bit tart)
1 cup plain yogurt

  1. Peel and cut mangoes. Puree until smooth.
  2. Grind seeds from cardamom and pistachios until fine.
  3. Stir together all ingredients and pour into moulds.
  4. Freeze until firm.


No comments:

Post a Comment